User: 
Pass: 

Super Mario World

Page: < 1 2 3 4 >
AuthorMessage

SamuraiGoroh
Posted: 31 Oct, 2015 05:01
Last Edit: 31 Oct, 2015 05:03
You can surely beat Funky with more than 100 secs if you speedrun it, I'm positive. I kind of remember that if you ate all fruits, you could finish the level with more than that you initially started with, but that's just from memory...

There's no current achievement for mounting all colored Yoshis, but I agree is not worth creating an achievement just for that...

Forest Secret Area - vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/SuperMarioWorld-ForestOfIllusion-ForestSecretArea.png
You can also scroll the screen to the left and be able to grab them.

I was thinking that if is possible, maybe have an achievement that beats all 8 gates in bowser's castle (you obviously need to die in order to go back and try another gate). Same for Chocolate Island 2 vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/SuperMarioWorld-ChocolateIsland-ChocolateIsland2.png (beating all screens)

Mutawarrior
Posted: 31 Oct, 2015 05:22
Yeah last time I did Funky I had over 100 seconds on the clock, which is strange because I almost always start running out and I was playing very well last time.

I had no idea the screen scrolling with the L & R buttons could be used to get those or anything like that. I never found much use for the screen scrolling but now I have to give that a try.

Now that you brought it up, when I saw the last batch of achievements I thought the numbered doors in Bowser's Castle would've been included in achievements but upon checking out which achievements were added, I saw that they weren't. For Chocolate Island 2, I guess you could also beat the stage and go back and try again in addition to dying and trying again. Or maybe the select button trick while pausing the game would also work.

LMTR14
Posted: 01 Nov, 2015 18:12
Last Edit: 01 Nov, 2015 18:13
no quoting function on this forum?

it's very easy, poindexter, somebody back in the day made the achievement set. why do you think you have the slightest right to change the set without confirmation of the original author. nothing was broken (I can confirm since I got 100% done). don't fix something that is not broken.

think for a moment, what if everybody would do things like you? it would be anarchy, nobody could get anything done right because 5 seconds later somebody might alter or remove the achievement beaten. I cannot be more in the right here, it's baffling how you think this has anything to do with my points (not like the added achievements were hard or anything). it's a pure matter of principle. I love this project - you are messing with it - I speak out against it.

in fact, it already happened once. some genius had the idea to add a "collect a feather" achievement, increasing points to 405. that was REVERTED.

and, you want to contribute to the cause? there's hundreds of actually broken achievements. plus the "guess which version of the rom I was thinking about" problem. fix THAT

Dexterspet
Posted: 01 Nov, 2015 18:38
Last Edit: 01 Nov, 2015 18:41
Firstly, I did not edit the code of any existing achievements. You're putting additions and just overall messing with the set in the same boat, which isn't really fair. Achievements added don't have to be hard to warrant justification, they're interesting and give incentive to explore levels beyond what you would do in a normal playthrough and it's fun to do.

The original author doesn't 'own' the set, really. This is a special case because not only is the author of maybe 50% of the old achievements not active at all, but the set has achievements made by 5 or 6 different people. If I were to add to a set created by one person that actively exists and could respond to me in the next week, I would message them about it. I made these achievements in a day, I knew pretty much exactly what code I was gonna use beforehand.

If more people did things like this (providing they knew what they were doing in the ways of achievements creation, and what makes good achievements), then that'd be pretty stellar. I had only assumed a possibility of your being miffed was that it was your points because that's really the best reason I think could be given, even if it's a bad one.

It's a lot easier and faster to work with games I know both the code, the memory and the game of than to go learn all of them for completely new games just to fix tickets. I always post which version of the rom I use, and I have contributed all my rom info to the spreadsheet. What more do you want me to do? I don't have access to site code and I don't even know how to work with RA's code, if I were even given access. I was doing what I wanted to do, and what I was motivated to do.

No need to be so upset about all this.

Mutawarrior
Posted: 02 Nov, 2015 22:36
Last Edit: 02 Nov, 2015 22:36
Like Dexter said, nobody owns the achievement set of any game. Just because they were the first to have worked on achievements for a game doesn't mean they have the sole rights. Anyone with the know-how can submit achievements and every achievement maker on the site is free to work on the game(s) of their choice. I agree there are a lot of other problems on the site, but the thing is Dexter or anyone else for that matter isn't obligated to fix them. If & when those things get fixed, it will be because they strongly believe in fixing them.

Personally I'm not happy about the talk of N64 achievements since that & the other consoles of that 1st 3D generation are among my least favorite consoles ever made & there are so many older games that have yet to get emulators (so future achievements could be made) let alone achievements, but I realize that if the people want N64 & they're the ones making the achievements, who am I to tell them what they can work on.

As long as an achievement set has room for things that are worthy of giving achievements for, it's perfectly fine if more are added. As a fan of games, it should give us more reasons to pick up a game & replay it. I personally had no idea there were so many 3up moons in the game until the moon achievements were made (I thought there were only 3 or 4 max).

The new ones aren't even hard to get, you just need to spend a little time on them.

elbobo
Posted: 22 Apr, 2016 13:00
Last Edit: 22 Apr, 2016 20:08
Hello, i dont suppose someone could point in the direction to a correct ROM? I have tried 2 EU versions (1.0 and 1.1) and the USA version (file name ends with a U) each one of those says 'Achivements not avaiable in this game) :( Thanks in advanced.

CobraMJD
Posted: 15 Jun, 2016 16:23

I wanna know too.

SyrianBallaS
Posted: 05 Jul, 2016 07:32
Last Edit: 05 Jul, 2016 07:50
Well I believe it's the emulator you guys are using. I loaded "Super Mario World (E) (V1.1) [!]" and it works. I could be wrong but retroarch is a separate project from this (judging from GitHub) so it's not guaranteed to work. It's just something nice to add since it's all FOSS.

Well anyway, I found this pretty nice patch that overhauls the graphics of SMW with no gameplay modifications. I haven't tested to see if achievements will still load but I think a checksum fix on the ROM will do it if it did change.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2919/

kdecks
Posted: 02 Mar, 2017 22:17
Last Edit: 30 Mar, 2017 00:20
I thought I could make a slight improvement to the badge of the game.

The old badge
problem: slight horizontal distortion as the image isn't square (squished) The image may look better centered on Mario and with the text removed.

My solution

imgur.com/RrFxsV9, imgur.com/EhrIkUk

3 March 2017 edit:

Updated the badge a bit, giving it a slight trim.

Now we have 8% more Mario

10 March 2017 edit:

I've realized that the icon made doesn't match the true box proportions. Fixed.

kdecks
Posted: 06 Mar, 2017 17:30
Last Edit: 19 Mar, 2017 04:13
Salsa and I are working on additions for Super Mario World. Some full game challenge modes are intended to be added such as a playthrough without powerups, and another with getting a very low point total by world. There will also be a number of new level specific achievements to challenge the player and highlight different aspects of Super Mario World.

This is all done in love for the game and a respect for the current set. We intend for these additions to be fun and breathe more life into a great game!

Feedback, questions, criticisms, comments all welcome.

kdecks
Posted: 19 Mar, 2017 04:13
Last Edit: 19 Mar, 2017 04:31

kdecks
Posted: 19 Mar, 2017 21:27
Last Edit: 19 Mar, 2017 21:30
The Revision is complete! Thanks for all the input and feedback while we were developing these additions and updates. Please let us know if you find any bugs via "Report Broken Achievements". Enjoy!

Color's by Yoshi Group by : Active Colored Palace Switches with a matching Yoshi

Bonus Block Group by : Obtain the 1-up reward from bonus blocks scattered around the World

Loopholes By Keyholes Group by : Low points challenges: Complete all the "loophole" stages that give Mario 0 points at victory while the player avoid other points from powerups or enemy kills.

Mini-Mario vs. the World Group by : Complete an entire play through of the entire game as Small Mario

Super Pacifist Mario feat. Hungry Yoshi Group by : World by world complete most stages without harming any enemies, feeding Yoshi or dying

Level specific challenges of varying difficulty by :

Level specific challenge by :

Reasoning: Covers this experience adequately. Provides no new challenge and comes off as busy work.

Reasoning: Topic is covered sufficiently through and , and rewards the player for doing worse.

, , . Reasoning: The challenge is covered having just one of these; was left in the set. Although they are somewhat worthy benchmarks completing World Castle Bosses seems to be enough.

Demotions by .

There are four opt-in leaderboards, meaning that to use these leaderboards is entirely options and requires a simple activation code at certain points in the game.

retroachievements.org/leaderboardinfo.php?i=1991 How many exits can you clear coinless?
Activation: On a new 0 completion game, at 1 PLAYER GAME hold L+R as you press start.

retroachievements.org/leaderboardinfo.php?i=1992 How many exits can you clear in one life?
Activation: On a new 0 completion game, at 1 PLAYER GAME hold L+left as you press start.
Named after as it was her idea.

retroachievements.org/leaderboardinfo.php?i=1995 Full Game: Complete 96 exits and kill Bowser (front door) in one run.
Activation: On a new 0 completion game, at 1 PLAYER GAME hold L+right as you press start.
This also displays to the player the number of exits completed and score.

retroachievements.org/leaderboardinfo.php?i=1998 Wall touch alert and best time for .
Activation: Hold L as you start Forest of Illusion 2.
This provides a fail state utility for the player attempting the achievement, as it can sometimes be difficult to know; it also provides a competitive.

All four are by .

By :

By :

By :

Rich presence by

kdecks
Posted: 29 Mar, 2017 11:32
Last Edit: 30 Mar, 2017 06:47
Made a video guide for each of Salsa's Pacifist group and embedded it. www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTUBz1fD1rSu5fMQbQ0A_3DE9huuRO5J4. I may make some other guide videos on other achievements if players would like it.

These are my recorded hardcore runs, except for world 2, which I had to re-record. I also trimmed out part of world 6 as I did the castle twice; I went there without doing the ghost ship; luckily I didn't make any mistakes either time.

For me the hardest in order was ~ 9, 7, 4, 6, 3, 5, 2, 8, 1.

World 9 is really quite hard, it took me hours to master, but it was a blast finding a path that I could use to beat all 8 stages consistently. (I previously thought the only possible route was you use cape flying across all of Tubular which is just stupid hard to do consistently.) The cheeve is imo quite hard but very fair; the group will definitely push players to increase their Mario skills.

kdecks
Posted: 29 Mar, 2017 23:30
Last Edit: 29 Mar, 2017 23:31
I've created downloadable save files for attempting the Mini-Mario vs the World challenges.

Back up your old saves by renaming your current SMW.srm file (in RASnes9x/Saves) to something else or moving it to a different folder. Download the file and put it in your save folder; rename the new save file to be the same name as your SMW game.

Mini-Mario vs the World part one -- start a new game file.
goo.gl/TYRbsQ
goo.gl/XRm1W8
goo.gl/J8W8HH

It's not essential to use these, I've only added them so someone has easy access to these challenges or if they accidentally saved in a place that prevents re-attempts.

YamiKaito
Posted: 09 May, 2017 05:33
First... Sorry for my bad english, but i have problems with Mini-Mario vs the World SPECIAL
I complete this achievement two times but nothing happen. I use the save file https://goo.gl/J8W8HH, I complete all 8 stages of specials without power ups. In Tubular touch the goal without the effect of P Ballon, but nothing happened.
I complete without errors part 1, 2 and 3, but I don't know what happen with the last. Some help please.
Page: < 1 2 3 4 >

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account