On my playthru tonight...

I defeated Kraid.

Got the High-Jump Boots.

Got the Spazer.

Defeated Spore Spawn.

Defeated Bomb Chorizo.

Obtained the Varia Suit.

Obtained the Morph Ball (obviously).

But none of these achievements activated.

Scott
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 09:09
Hey Cirellio - can you confirm what version of the ROM you were using, was it (E) or (U)?

Brian
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 11:32
I'll look into it.
I just added formulas to all of those achievements.
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=hhCic2F2
I'm not sure what went wrong.. if anything did. I was using a (J/U) ROM.

EDIT:
I'm running through the whole game again on a new file... so far everything's working.
..Just got Varia Suit, all have worked to this point..
Edit: Got Gravity Suit and everything has been working.
Edit: In Tourian.. nothing wrong.
Edit: Finished the game, everything unlocked.

Must have been the type of ROM.. Demo version? Every achievement has a check on it for the Demo version and the achievements won't unlock if you're on the demo.

cirellio
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 14:04
"Every achievement has a check on it for the Demo version"
I must have the Demo version, because I seem to remember these achievements were highlighted as if I'd already earned them.
I'll have to check it out later tonight - thanks!

Brian
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 14:23
I'm playing on the (E) (PAL) ROM now, and they still seem to unlock. (I must say playing at 50 FPS rather than 60 is noticeably different in gameplay)
I don't know what happened.
Scott, do you still get achievements if you disconnect from the internet?

cirellio
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 14:38
(I know for sure it was an NTSC ROM, and that I had internet connectivity the whole time)

Brian
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 14:52
Interesting. I couldn't find a 'Demo' version of the ROM to download.
I just got Varia Suit on PAL version and everything unlocked to that point. I shouldn't need to test the PAL version any further for now.
Hmmmm

Made this while testing the (E) version :P

Scott
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 19:03
Haha nice gif, Brian :) looking good!

Also good to know RASnes9x works on Windows 7, I hadn't tested it :P

When I personally refer to 'demo', I mean 'attract mode' - i.e. if you leave the game on the title screen, the 'demo' will be active. From what I understand there aren't any actual 'demo' cartridges, not for SNES at least (there are some prototypes, but even these are usually the full game, and the kiosk ones appear to be the full game).

So that particular memory address I've listed in the codenotes for Super Metroid is for whether or not we've 'properly' started the game or not. i.e. if you leave it hanging on the title screen, it will stay at 00. When playing the non-interactive demos, it will be 0x00. It actually even stays 0x00 until you leave the first space station, but it reaches 0x10 after you land on Zebes properly: meaning that it will be 0x10 when you have 'properly' started the game.

The internet connectivity possibility... well it's worrying. Honestly I really don't know. You are required to have internet connectivity to start the game (it needs to block processing and download a fresh copy of the achievements every time you start up), but posting the achievements should happen in the background... I really don't know what would happen if it can't connect. If it successfully connects, the server posts back a response, like you see above - when that message pops up, it's basically saying that it connected successfully and it's all posted OK.

I'll have a look into this now, and I'll see if I can run into the same issues.

@Brian: nice work on the dumpbin you've posted - but that stuff is literally crying out for a bitfield check instead!! I'm hoping to make headway with the bitfield system tonight, I'll post back when I've got something. Nice work BTW, these achievements are utterly, utterly awesome :D

Scott
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 19:05
Just a note, playing SNES on a Xbox 360 controller feels sacrilegious. I need to run and fire at the same time, and my thumb isn't big enough on a 360 controller to do all three. What do you guys use?

cirellio
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 19:08
Nice, the kraid quick-kill! You can also roll up into a ball at the start of that fight for Kraid to rise up slightly faster :)

dude1286
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 19:15
Scott, definitely get access to a Playstation remote for the pc. Currently, if you don't have a PS3 remote, you can buy a device that will let you plug a PSX or PS2 controller into a usb slot. It's about $10, works with the multitap, and works for connecting to both PC and PS3. Playstation remotes are better for retro gaming as their d-pad is much more effective and useful.

jackolantern
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 19:24
Just wanted to add that you can't play without an online connection as you need this to login to RA through the Emu. I found this out when we were internetless for 8 days a short while ago.

Scott
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 19:24
That's not a bad idea that - I've got a USB-PS1 converter (I was building a MAME cab ages ago and... never really finished it), and a bunch of PS1 controllers... I like that idea, I'll try it out! Thanks dude

Scott
Posted: 25 Jul, 2013 19:28
Yikes... bad news so far, Brian - I went to my settings page, and reset all my progress on , so I could start from the beginning. I loaded up the Super Metroid (J/U).smc ROM, and 19 achievements have popped :S

Just looking into this now - I think we'll need the bitfield upgrade a little sooner than expected :P
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account