Some stuff are gonna be temporarily out and Pumpkin King event cancelled

Page: 1 2 3 >
AuthorMessage

Posted: 06 Sep, 2020 15:50
Last Edit: 06 Sep, 2020 21:15
Hey community, no pep-talking this time... :(

TL;DR

1. The Pumpkin King 2020 event was cancelled
2. Some "services" here are going to be freezed for two weeks.
Namely:
- manual-unlocks
- icon-gauntlets
- revisions
- rescores

REASONING

Today the RA scene lost THE most active admin/developer/code-reviewer/ticket-cleaner/whatever: .

While we are still restructuring ourselves to fill the gap left by him, Some "services" here are going to be freezed for two weeks: manual-unlocks, icon-gauntlets, revisions, and rescores.

Also, the Pumpkin King 2020 event was cancelled (hopefully postponned to 2021).

Regarding televandalist: No! Fortunately he's not ded! He left due to a burnout (which is also sad).

He left a message for all of us, and I would like to highlight this part so you guys can reflect about it:

---
The other part [besides the burnout] is the constant black cloud following me simply for being an admin/staff. I've devoted most of my free time in the past two years contributing content to RA, trying to help others, and fixing all that I can. For what? Frequent bitching about admin and staff? We're all doing what we can with the tools we have
---

Regarding such antagonism towards the RA staff, maybe one of the reasons is that some people don't get along very well with some staff-members and vice-versa. And about that, I highly encourage you guys to follow this part of our User's Code of Conduct:

---
If you have problems with how any moderation action takes place send a PM to RAdmin or email ramodmail@gmail.com. This is a shared moderation account that all mods and admin see, the issue will be discussed and dealt with fairly.
---

Our staff is quite varied but we're not able to be online 24/7. So, if you send us a message via RAdmin, it'll get a better treatment and we'll discuss your case in depth.

By the way, consider flooding televandalist's wall with positive vibes:

And if you're interested in his full message, check here:
https://discordapp.com/channels/310192285306454017/752271759138357249/752272150467182682

Posted: 06 Sep, 2020 16:48
wtf i get tele did a lot but why are you cancelling these things alltogether. tele wasn't even the guy that did most of the revisions/rescores/icon gauntlets.

Posted: 06 Sep, 2020 16:51
Last Edit: 06 Sep, 2020 16:52
@: Its 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' goes down in RA History, September 2020.

Posted: 06 Sep, 2020 16:54
Last Edit: 06 Sep, 2020 16:54
Because we're going to restructure the procedures on how those things run.

The way they are today is unsustainable. More users are coming and all the staff members are being flooded with demands and it doesn't seem to be fixed in a foreseeable future.

We need to change some things badly, otherwise everyone will have a burnout and this will be an abandoned project.

Posted: 06 Sep, 2020 16:57
I hope you guys find a way to run things in a more sustainable way. If you guys ever want to spar, you know how to reach me on Discord.

I hope Tele doesn't end up with too much damage due to what happened, and that he can come back some day and enjoy himself as a fellow player and developer.

Posted: 06 Sep, 2020 17:03
To use gaming terms for my opinion: An enhanced remake is definitely much better than the frequent bug fix patches.

Posted: 06 Sep, 2020 17:46
It's sad to hear that we lost one-man-army staff member. I can only hope it's temporarily.
I can't comment on burnouts and such, but even though I barely use Discord and don't know about all the drama there, I have noticed "black clouds" in forums here, when devs are saying they have enough and want to leave.
I know that with staff lacking capacity it would actually add to problems, but maybe it's time for punitive measures. Week long ban from logging in and using forums, Discord and unlocking achievements could let some people to cool off. And in extreme and repeated cases, with unanimous mod vote, some automated tool that randomly selects and removes achievements worth n points.

Posted: 06 Sep, 2020 18:01
The Pumpkin King event sucks.

Posted: 06 Sep, 2020 19:54
2020 just keeps getting worse and worse. X-( However, I hope he treats himself to a LONG vacation of some sort because he deserves it and the rest of the RA team do too.

Posted: 07 Sep, 2020 00:39
Totally agree with valts, RA Staff members should decide to make temporarily ban for RA members to be decided between staff members if someone don't have the respect for their awesome work. We don't even pay for what they do. A few weeks ago I opened a ticket to fix an achievement and less than a hour later Televandalist have fix it. I have immediately thank him on his wall for what he did and now because of what happened we have lose a very good developer, we as members should be more than thankful for their great work.

Posted: 07 Sep, 2020 07:39
Sad news indeed :/ I hope he comes back later on rested. And yes, people need to understand that this is a free place with admins working really hard to help us all! No one gets paid. Just be nice and polite. It is not harder than that really :)

Posted: 07 Sep, 2020 09:55
I also agree with valts on the idea to ban people for disrespecting staff members. As RicardoSilva said, we do not pay for what they do, so a little respect will go a long way.

I wish televandalist the best and I hope he gets well soon.

Posted: 07 Sep, 2020 11:26
i totally can't see banning everyone that disagrees with the staff backfiring at all

Posted: 07 Sep, 2020 12:24
Last Edit: 07 Sep, 2020 12:27
Disagree is different than disrespect, Deng. No one proposed to ban people who disagree.
However, people who only know how to disagree in disrespectful ways definately are not welcome to the community.

Posted: 07 Sep, 2020 17:01
If I say "admins doing their job badly which causing some respectful people leave the site" is it disagree or disrespect? If second, please provide me the way to say that in another form or "how it should be said". Just don't nuke the topic like you always do.

I also agree with valts on the idea to ban people for disrespecting staff members
Define "staff". If talking to mic for 30 minutes enough to became staff, I have nothing to add.

And it's nice how only "I left because of users bitching on admins" part was highlighted and other reasons like thoughts about v2 were completely ignored.
Page: 1 2 3 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account