Forgot password?
login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

Sonic the Hedgehog

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
AuthorMessage

Posted: 04 Apr, 2019 18:01
I really hate all of these "No dying through the whole game" cheevos, it really ruins sets for me. You die once, you gotta do it alllll over again. It's not fun and it's not creative either. If it was a No death cheevo for each Zone, !!WITH Level select allowed!! it would be fine by me. But the entire game? Hell no. Keep that to bonus or don't introduce it at all

Posted: 05 Apr, 2019 13:44
I would second these as not being great suggestions. I think the fact that the No Death achievement in Sonic 2 only has a 1% completion ratio says a lot about what the wider audience think of the no death challenge. In theory it shouldn't be so bad for a Sonic game since you can recollect rings, but there are still a number of instant deaths and having to restart the entire game for one mistake isn't great.

Posted: 05 Apr, 2019 14:06
I would rate a No Death achievement in Sonic to be Very Hard going by the official Difficulty Scale and Balance scale.

The No Death achievement in Sonic 2 was added relatively recently (just over 1 year ago, granted that's not super recent).
Let's assume the type of people who would want to get that achievement (ie people who previously had 25 achievements (which was previously the maximum number of acheivements.)
30 people have an achievment number over 25 for Sonic 2, 22 out of those 30 got it. I don't think it is difficult if someone wants to get it. And if someone doesn't want to get it, don't get it then.

It is very hard, but there are much harder achievements on the site, and I don't think that no deaths is hard enough to be in a bonus set (unless it was to beat the game without getting hit).
The only ways to die instantly in Sonic 1 that I can think of:
Squished, Spike glitch, Falling off level and Dying in the final level.
Getting squished is probably the most likely way to die, as you can get squished in many levels.
Spike glitch only really happens in green hill, and spikes are pretty easy to dodge in other levels.
Falling off a level only really happens if you are playing the level close to the bottom, which you should try and stay up high. Starlight Zone and Scrap Brain have low paths which you can fall to your death if you take.
The final level might kill you if you've not learned the two attacks, but if you know how to dodge getting crushed and dodge the plasma balls, it's easy.

Granted, this is my point of view, I'm probably biased, I normally don't die in Sonic games, and I did create the no-death achievement for Sonic 2, and I do find no death achievements fun.

I don't think that a no-death achievement should be added to Sonic 1 unless a lot of other achievements were to be added as well.

Posted: 05 Apr, 2019 16:12
Last Edit: 05 Apr, 2019 16:25
The problem I see with the "no death" achievement for Sonic 2 is that there are no rings in the final zone. Clearing all other zones up to that point without dying is perfectly manageable, since holding on to at least one ring means you can take another hit (aside from the instant death situations such as drowning or being crushed), so while it's still a challenge, the pressure isn't overwhelming. The final zone requires you to beat two bosses in a row without being touched. You must replay the entire game from the start each time you fail, and there are only so many times I would want to do this.

I haven't gotten far enough in Sonic 1, but if the final zone is the same case (no rings) I am not sure a no death achievement would be the greatest idea.

Posted: 05 Apr, 2019 16:23
There are no rings in the final zone of Sonic 1.

Posted: 05 Apr, 2019 16:44
Exactly. The fact that both Sonic 1 and 2 have a Final Boss without rings makes me really question why this is being talked about for Sonic 1 and why Sonic 2 even has it. Maybe at least change Sonic 2s to be "Reach Death Egg without dying" instead of having to fight against Silver Sonic and and Death Egg Robot too. The percentage rate says it all.

Posted: 05 Apr, 2019 17:13
Last Edit: 05 Apr, 2019 17:56
After a bit of practise I personally don't find the final zones too challenging (ie, if you've completed the final zone a few times, you should be able to do it without dying, if not then a little bit of practise of the final level should help using the level select).

Again, I don't think the percentage rate for Sonic 2 is bad considering that the achievement is relatively new.

However, if anyone wants to then please feel free to edit Sonic 2's no death achievement so that it is reach the final zone instead of beating the final zone, I'm ill so I can't (at least not right now). I made the achievement because I was personally requested to during my revision to Sonic 2, and I thought it would be fun, but if the majority of people think that it is unfun, and that changing it from beating the last level to reaching the last level would make it more fun (whilst still being challenging), then it should probably be changed.

Posted: 05 Apr, 2019 19:23
Maybe it could be split. And then have another which is "beat death egg in one life", allowing stage skip.

Posted: 05 Apr, 2019 19:29
Last Edit: 06 Apr, 2019 12:13
Death Egg on it's own kinda has to be beat in one life, if you die in it, you go to the start of Death Egg, and if you reset from menu, you go to the start of Death Egg.

Maybe if you had to restart from Wing Fortress Zone it could be split into it's own achievement.

Or it could be combined with , so you have to beat Wing Fortress Zone without getting hit, along with Death Egg, which would make that specific achievement harder, and make the Zero Deaths achievement easier.

Edit: Again, I wouldn't be able to make these changes since I'm ill, but if anyone wants to they can do so. If anyone is going to make any changes to Sonic 2 then should probably be demoted/replaced because I think it has a lot of issues, it seems to have a very high obtain rate compared to the other achievements I added, I haven't been able to fix it.(now fixed, thanks DarknessZedzi). also might have an issue I can't replicate nor fix.

Posted: 21 Jun, 2019 23:43
Is the romhack compatible with the set? https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1018/

Posted: 22 Jun, 2019 08:29
Judging by the description of this hack, it contains not only graphical changes but also gameplay ones, so linking this hack to this set is incorrect. The same with a similar hack to Sonic 2.

Posted: 16 Aug, 2019 20:26
255 points? Someone could re-score?

Posted: 06 Apr, 2020 11:54
Last Edit: 06 Apr, 2020 12:33
Why in the link it show that this was game 1, what does it mean?
https://retroachievements.org/ game/1
Was it the frist game ever added to this site?

Posted: 06 Apr, 2020 11:55
Why in the link it show that this was game 1, what does it mean?
https://retroachievements.org/ game/1
Was it the frist game ever added to this site?

Posted: 06 Apr, 2020 11:56
sorry for double posting it was a mistake
Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account